This has recently become one of my favourite things to make. It's really versatile and can be made in big batches which can then be stored in the fridge/freezer and eaten in different ways during the week - whether on its own, next to some rice/couscous or folded into a whole-wheat wrap.
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 large red onion (roughly sliced)
- 2 large tomatoes (roughly chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (roughly chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (roughly chopped)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (roughly chopped)
- 1 courgette (roughly chopped)
- 2 green chillies (finely chopped, with or without the seeds)
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp crushed ginger
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onions, ginger and green chillies for a minute or two.
Add the rest of the chopped vegetables to the saucepan, along with the herbs and seasoning. Pour in the vegetable stock. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the cooked chickpeas and cook uncovered for a further 5 minutes.