Warm, simple and healthy. This salad is a combination of some of my favourite food ingredients. I can't get enough of broccoli; sweet potato needs no introduction; spinach is a staple in my fridge; then you have the flavour of delicious coconut running through all that with a whole lot of heat from the chilli. The simplicity of this dish allows each ingredient to shine through. Your taste buds will absolutely thank you.
Ideal as a side dish, or a quick lunch/dinner.
- Broccoli (as much as you care for)
- 1 sweet potato (peeled and cubed)
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 1/2 red chilli (finely chopped)
- pinch of dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- dried coconut flakes (optional)
1. Steam the broccoli and sweet potato until they are cooked through and tender. (Broccoli can still have a bit of a bite to it). Add the spinach at the last minute and steam for a couple extra minutes until the leaves have wilted.
2. To make the dressing, add the chopped chilli and dried thyme to the melted coconut oil. Season generously with salt and pepper.
3. Assemble your salad, using the wilted spinach as a bed and piling the broccoli and sweet potatoes high on top. Drizzle the coconut/chilli dressing over the top. Garnish with some dried coconut flakes.