I drink lemonade almost every day.
Okay, so maybe not lemonade as we know it - the wondrously fizzy stuff packed with sugar/sweeteners that make it so darn addictive!
No, I'm talking about taking a humble glass of still or sparkling water and squeezing some fresh lemon juice into it. I have to admit that it wasn't to my taste to begin with, but now that my taste buds have adjusted, I can't get enough. Even the smell of freshly cut lemon puts me in an instant good mood. In my head, it has turned into a kick-ass healthier version of regular lemonade. It's great first thing in the morning before breakfast, and is a refreshing drink to sip on throughout the day.
I first heard about lemon water a few years ago and half-heartedly tried it out for a bit before losing interest. It wasn't until I watched one of my favourite guilty-pleasure reality TV shows Tia and Tamera that my interest was reignited. Anyone who has seen the show will have noticed that health-conscious Tia always orders lemon water whenever she's out at a restaurant. Intrigued by her consistency, I went back to seek out those web articles on lemon water and decided I wanted to experience the benefits for myself!
Lemons: these sour fruits are packed full of nutrients, including vitamin C and B, calcium, iron, potassium, pectin fibre and magnesium. Not only are they great for rejuvenating the skin, but they also help with weight loss and detoxification.
Here are my top 6 benefits:
1. Aids digestion: lemon juice encourages healthy digestion by flushing out toxins, cleansing the system and relieving symptoms such as bloating and heartburn.
2. Clears skin: the antioxidants and vitamin C in lemon juice help decrease wrinkles and blemishes. The key to healthy, radiant skin!
3. Aids weight loss: the pectin fibre in lemons help fight hunger cravings.
4. Boosts the immune system: lemons are high in vitamin C, which is essential for fighting colds. There is a good reason why it is recommended that you snuggle up with a mug of hot lemon tea when a cold hits.
5. Source of potassium: lemons are naturally high in potassium, which is great news for your heart. It also helps nourish brain and nerve cells. And it helps control blood pressure.
6. Balances pH levels and reduces inflammation: Lemons are acidic on their own but turn alkaline once inside the body. Disease states thrive when our body pH is acidic so by drinking lemon water on a regular basis, you decrease the acidity in your body and maintain good health. It also helps eliminate uric acid in the joints, one of the main causes of inflammation.
You'll find tons of articles online that discuss the health benefits of lemon water, so do use this as a springboard to go find out even more!